Have you ever wondered if you could share your Hulu account with family or friends to allow them to stream shows and movies too?
It can be puzzling because different streaming services have different policies.
To learn how many devices you can use with Hulu, keep reading.
Does Hulu Have a Device Limit?
Hulu has a strict limit of 2 concurrent streams per account, regardless of whether you have the ad-supported or ad-free plan.
This means that you can have up to 2 devices streaming Hulu content at the same time on a single account.
For instance, you could watch on your phone while someone else streams simultaneously on your tablet, laptop, and living room TV.
The device streaming limit applies to concurrent usage, not the total number of devices registered to your account.
You can register as many total devices as you want to your Hulu account across all your household and personal devices. But only 2 of those registered devices can be actively streaming Hulu at the exact same time.
If you try to start playback on a 3rd device, you’ll get an error saying the maximum concurrent streams have been reached.
If you share your Hulu login, it is best to work with other members of your household to stay within the device limit.
This stops playback from being disrupted if someone unknowingly tries to stream when there are already 3 devices in use.
Hulu Live TV subscribers can choose the “unlimited screens add-on” to stream on any device connected to the customer’s home network or three mobile devices if they are not connected to the network.
Can You Share Hulu Subscription With Friends and Family?
Yes, you can share access to your Hulu account outside of your household. You are able to create up to 7 profiles per account on the streaming service.
Here are two ways you could share Hulu access:
- Send profile invites to friends and family so they can sign in on their own devices with the profile you create. They would then have access to your subscription from their devices.
- Register devices for others by signing in with your account credentials on their smart TVs, streaming sticks, phones, etc. They could then access Hulu on those registered devices anytime.
Sharing with more than one household is a great way to save money by allowing one party to cancel their Hulu account.
Just keep the concurrent stream limits in mind (see above) and work together to avoid exceeding the cap.
Can You Download Hulu Content?
A great way to get the most out of your subscription is to download Hulu movies and shows to watch offline.
Hulu allows subscribers to download content on all plans EXCEPT the free tier.
Here’s what to know about downloading content from Hulu:
- Content can only be downloaded using the Hulu mobile apps for iOS and Android. Downloading is not possible on other platforms like Roku or Smart TVs.
- Hulu permits a limit of 25 pieces of downloaded content across 5 registered devices.
- Downloaded content you have not started watching will be removed after 30 days.
- Downloaded content you have started watching will be removed within 48 hrs.
- If downloaded content leaves the Hulu platform it will be removed immediately.
Using downloads strategically by saving shows before trips or commutes can maximize the value of your Hulu subscription!
How Many Hulu Accounts Can You Have?
Each eligible subscriber is only allowed to open one Hulu account. It is not permitted to use the same login information to open multiple accounts.
However, here are some ways you could gain access to more than one Hulu subscription:
- Each eligible Verizon Wireless customer can claim a free Hulu subscription. If you have family members with Verizon, they could create their own accounts.
- If you subscribe to Spotify Premium you can claim a free Hulu Ad Supported account.
- Make additional accounts by signing up with different email addresses and payment methods. Just know you’ll be billed for each subscription.
- Consider adding Hulu to a bundle like Amazon Prime Video. Some platforms allow you to pair multiple streaming services.
Ultimately, the one account per subscriber rule was implemented in order to prevent credential sharing between households while still providing account holders with full access to Hulu shows and movies.
It is easy to use your Hulu subscription across household members and devices. Simply be aware of your plan’s limitations.
You can share the wealth of Hulu content with family and friends with a little planning. Have fun streaming!